Our company’s mission is to enable people to trust each other at scale.
Problem we’re solving
Social media is broken because users cannot easily move between platforms. Each platform is a silo; they have their own stacks, which are largely incompatible with each other.
An interoperable social stack. Layers instead of silos. Users can easily move between platforms without losing their followers.
What we’re building
We are building the two bottom layers of that stack, i.e. a universal social graph and a decentralized ranking algorithm. We are also building the first UI for this new social stack – hive .one
We are a small, VC-funded startup. We are a remote-first team. Most of the team is based in Europe (Berlin, London, Milan). You can make your own hours, but everybody is expected to be online during office hours in CET. We try to meet in person and work together for several days at least every 3 months. Other than that the company ‘lives’ in Slack, Notion and other tools enabling effective communication.
The job is full time permanent. If you work from Germany, you will get an employment contract. If you work from somewhere else in the world, you will work as a freelancer, and need to fulfill the legal requirements for freelancing in your country. We are also happy to sponsor a work visa if you would like to move to Germany.
If you work from Berlin, you can work from our Berlin office, located in Mitte.
About this role
We are looking for a tech lead to take charge of a growing team of 2 (soon 3) software engineers.
This is a young and motivated team ripe for a strong tech lead to take ownership and build strong workflows and processes with plans for fast growth in the next 12-18 months.
You will lead our team which is responsible for:
- Developing most of our core features (along side our algorithm team)
- Managing our infrastructure
- Managing our API’s
Our Tech Stack:
- Micro-services based architecture deployed on AWS
- Protocol Buffers and gRPC
It’s okay if you don’t have experience with everything here, we would expect you to have enough experience to pick things up relatively quickly
- You’ll be responsible for week-to-week planning of your team and keeping each member accountable
- You’ll be working with our CEO and the head of the Algorithm team to translate high-level ideas into projects/tasks
- As a tech lead, part of your role is to be a people manager – It’s vital you dedicate time to managing your team members
- You’ll be expected to drive technical direction in projects and assure they meet scalability and robustness requirements
- You’ll be hands-on on projects, getting deep into code and be looked upon as the senior authority in software development tasks, projects, Etc
- You’ll be responsible for hiring for your team
- You’ll be responsible for communicating and planning between other teams
- Wide experience building scalable applications
- Experience with most of the tools in our stack – It’s okay if you haven’t used everything, we will teach you
- Experience leading remote development teams in the past – This could be at a job or working on an open-source project
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- You enjoy writing documentation and understand why it’s valuable
- A self starter – You can come up with ideas and implement them yourself
- You are a bar raiser – If you see others around you being lazy or slacking, instead of joining in you push back
- You live around the Central European Timezone (CET +/- 4 hours)
Great to have
- Mathematical background
- Interest in the Crypto space
Things we care about
- You use precise language and you insist that others do too
- You care about the tiny details (Performance, A11Y etc.)
The job is full time permanent. You can make your own hours and work from everywhere in the world if you want, but everybody is expected to be online during office hours in CET.
EUR 60,000 – 80,000 per year
Equity 0.14 – 0.18 %
The Process For This Role
- Please use the apply button. In the confirmation email you will get a link to a Typeform with some task related questions.
- Complete the Typeform – Please take your time
- You will then have a call with 2 of our engineers and a separate call with our CEO
- We will then invite you to do a week long paid project where you will be a part of the team – This is for us to get to know you and for you to get to know us.
- Job offer 🎉
Browse the latest remote engineering jobs on EU Remote Jobs