The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for product software engineers to join our team, reporting to product engineering management. As a product software engineer, you will be responsible for software engineering for our product user experiences. In this role, you will work in a mostly-remote environment, where we value teamwork and a consensus-oriented approach. You get to write open source code for collaborative experiences supporting over a billion users, and you get to do it at a place that believes we’re all more successful when everyone has a good work-life balance.
You are responsible for:
- Improving the Wikipedia product experience
- Iterating on new products and features through collaboration with designers and product managers
- Creating and maintaining internet APIs with server scripting languages
- Instrumenting components to monitor feature and quality characteristics
- Leveraging caching and persistence technologies
Skills and experience:
- 4+ years related professional experience in functional programming or OOP
- Experience building user-friendly features and software components with good performance
- Focused software engineering: you enjoy writing unit and integration tests, proactively addressing security and code review feedback, and thoughtfully balancing architectural tradeoffs
Qualities that are important to us:
- A desire to make meaningful contributions to knowledge equity, free culture, and open access
- An emphasis on communicating clearly in both synchronous and asynchronous channels
Additionally, we’d love it if you have this:
- Fluency in one or more regional languages in Africa, Asia, or Latin America
- Practical skills with Vue.js or React
- Project work in data science, machine learning, AI (especially on natural language)
- A history of open source contribution
- Bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate degree in computer science, management information systems, or STEM field (or equivalent certification)
- Experience developing for markets in Africa, Asia, or Latin America.
The following teams are actively seeking candidates:
- Campaigns: Our vibrant global network of Wikimedia organizers run content campaigns such as Wiki Loves Monuments, Art + Feminism, Wiki Loves Human Rights, and Wikimedia Asian Month that focus on new and experienced contributors, and are a key mechanism of content development on Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata, and other Wikimedia projects. Our work aims to improve the experience for campaign organizers and campaign participants, so they can more effectively take part in the Wikimedia movement.
- Web: We focus our efforts on the overall web user experience of the various Wikimedia projects, with a particular emphasis on Wikipedia on the desktop and mobile websites. We’re currently working on a refresh of the desktop web experience and are exploring a future focused on growing our platform capabilities and working with our communities to improve the flexibility and consistency of the user experience across the desktop and mobile web.
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.