Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code graph powers Cody, the most powerful and accurate code AI for writing, fixing, and maintaining code, as well as our Code Search product, helping devs explore their entire codebase and make large-scale migrations and security fixes. We’re building software that builds software, and in doing so we’re making devs more productive and growing the population of coders by giving anybody access to the deep knowledge base of a senior engineer through Cody and all of the context it brings. We’re preparing for a world with a lot more code than exists today, and that benefits us all.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. AI has taken over the world, and we’ve spent the last 10 years building infrastructure that’s integral to making AI generated code more powerful and accurate. Our customers include 4/5 FAANG companies, 4 of the top 10 banks, government organizations, Uber, Plaid, and many other companies building the software that pushes the world forward. We’ve raised $225M at a $2.625B valuation from Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia, Redpoint, Craft and others. We’re making ambitious bets on our future and we’re looking to hire exceptional people to join our team as we make Sourcegraph one of the biggest and most influential companies in the world.
🌎 Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a location requirement for this role. However, your working hours must overlap with EST 8am to 6pm for at least 3 hours/week.
Why this job is exciting
The product design team bridges the intersection of user desirability, technical feasibility, and business viability. We craft solutions for Sourcegraph’s Cody AI assistant and code search functionality that make developers more productive and help anyone code. Our efforts are actively transforming how teams around the world discover, navigate, understand, and write code. You’ll have the chance to collaborate with teammates to define the future of AI in developer tools and work with the code search team on features like code insights and batch changes to deliver functionality that ties the platform together and improves our overall offering.
Our leadership and internal developers are customer-focused and understand and respect the power of good design. Our customers love our product and rely on it daily to ship and deploy better software. You’ll be buoyed and challenged by their constant stream of thoughtful feedback and engage with them to help solve their toughest problems.
📅 Within one month, you will…
- complete your onboarding tasks and get to know your teammates
- learn about our business, product, vision, and team, and gain an understanding of how your role fits into Sourcegraph’s broader organization
- get to know the processes, tools, and systems the design team uses
- learn and understand our development process for feature releases and inter-team communication
- begin to learn the features the Cody and search teams develop and maintain
- improve the designer onboarding process by contributing to Sourcegraph’s handbook
- contribute to a Product Requirements Document
- ship meaningful changes to the product
📅 Within three months, you will…
- join a feature team and take on a large project
- learn about our users through our existing research and by conducting new research
- become familiar with basic Sourcegraph functionality
- develop an understanding of how Cody and code search solve our customer’s use cases
- take active involvement in strategic (the “why”), not just tactical (the “how”) realities of the design decisions you make
- work with the design team to improve its processes, contribute to design critiques, and build team cohesion
📅 Within six months, you will…
- become proficient in search and Cody functionality
- identify and define a change that will improve the product (including the metrics you will measure), shepherd your solution through the design and development process, analyze the results, and share your progress with the company
- attend an offsite or virtual offsite
- host a design workshop that engages your peers
- co-lead a product feature with your triad
- lead the design of a large cross functional effort that impacts multiple features
- educate, mentor, and train team members across the entire company on design methodology and philosophy
- leverage design thinking to contribute to Sourcegraph’s competitive strategy
You are a talented and technically-minded Product Designer who is also comfortable reading and writing code. This gives you the skills to work with technical teams on complex problems related to the future of AI-powered dev tools, code search, and developer productivity. You are strongly aligned with our values, inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code, and motivated to do your best work at Sourcegraph.
- You have 8+ years of experience designing complex B2B or B2C web applications as demonstrated in a strong portfolio
- Have experience designing intricate desktop applications similar to IDEs, design tools like Figma, and 3d applications
- You have the ability to create user flows, wireframes, prototypes, and other design artifacts to communicate complex concepts, and explain the reasoning behind your designs
- You have experience with user research and usability testing
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You have 3+ years experience writing and shipping code well beyond HTML and CSS, possibly in a dynamically typed language such as Typescript
- You have the ability to adapt your tools and processes for the velocity of a fast-paced startup where projects have varying requirement levels
Nice to haves:
- Experience designing for emerging technologies
- Experience designing for developer tools
- Experience managing a design system
- A portfolio showcasing strong marketing design and illustration
- Experience working with distributed or remote teams
- Experience in designing search functionality for eCommerce, B2B, or other complex applications
📊 This job is an IC4 You can read more about our job leveling philosophy in our Handbook.
💸 We pay you an above-average salary because we want to hire the best people who are fully focused on helping Sourcegraph succeed, not worried about paying bills. You will have the flexibility to work and live anywhere in the world (unless specified otherwise in the job description), and we’ll never take your location or current/past salary information into account when determining your compensation. As an open and transparent company that values equitable and competitive compensation for everyone, our compensation ranges are visible to every single Sourcegraph Teammate. To determine your salary, we use a number of market and data-driven salary sources and target the high-end of the range, ensuring that we’re always paying above market regardless of where you live in the world.
💰The target compensation for this role is $172,800.
📈 In addition to our cash compensation, we offer equity (because when we succeed as a company, we want you to succeed, too) and generous perks & benefits.
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
We expect the interview process to take 5.5 hours in total.
👋 Introduction Stage – we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
- [30m] Recruiter Screen
- [30m] Hiring Manager Screen
🧑💻 Team Interview Stage – we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
- [60m] Resume Deep Dive
- [60m] Portfolio Review
- [90m] Design Working Session
🎉 Final Interview Stage – we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
- [30m] Values Interview
- [30m] Leadership Interview with co-founder
- We check references and conduct your background check
Please note – you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
We provide competitive compensation and practical benefits to keep you happy and healthy so that you can do your best work.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.