We are Zego – a commercial motor insurance provider that powers opportunities for businesses, from entire fleets of vehicles to self-employed drivers and riders. We combine best-in-class technology with sophisticated data sources to offer insurance products that save businesses time and money.
Since our inception, we have believed that the problem with traditional insurance is that it holds businesses back. It’s too expensive and time consuming, and it no longer suits businesses who use vehicles to earn money. Our products represent a solution to this problem for businesses based across the UK, Europe and beyond.
So far, we have raised over $200 million in funding and we were the first UK insurtech to be valued at over $1 billion. We were also the first to be awarded our own insurance license and recently won Tech Company of the Year 2020. At Zego, we are proud to say we have a diverse and inclusive team, unified by our shared values and mission. Our people are the most important part of our story and everybody at Zego, no matter their role, has an integral part to play.
Overview of Telematics SDK team
At the end 2020 Zego launched Sense, a powerful insurance policy that analyses your actual driving behavior to price your insurance, just by using your smartphone. At the heart of it lies the Telematics SDK, a stand-alone native library that can be used by any app to automatically record user trips in the background, no user interaction required, and collect all relevant data.
The Telematics SDK team is the team responsible for maintaining and developing this SDK. We are based in Lisbon but our team is fully remote.
Purpose of the Role:
We are looking for a Senior Android Engineer for the Telematics SDK team to help us build a solid, scalable, and maintainable Telematics SDK that can power Zego’s mission.
As part of the team, you will:
- Contribute to the architecture, design and implementation of the Telematics SDK and of new SDKs that may be created
- Follow a test-driven development mindset
- Contribute to code reviews
- Lead by example in championing code styles and standards as part of our engineering team and setting best practices across the team
- Collaborate with Product Managers and across teams to bring new products and features to the market
What you will need to be successful in this role:
- Have large experience with native Android development using both Kotlin and Java.
- Be a strong software architect well versed in design patterns
- Understand the value of Dependency Injection and have experience implementing it
- Experience developing unit and instrumented tests, supporting CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with highly modularized projects
- An appreciation of Agile ways of working.
- Strong team player
- Strong communication skills
- Fluency in English
Nice to have
- Experience developing shared frameworks and SDKs
- Experience working with on-device sensors, including location, accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer
- Experience with Room and other forms of persistent storage
- Experience with background processing
- Experience implementing on-device machine learning models
- Experience with performance and memory-tuning tools
- Experience with push notifications
Please note that the role is remote in Portugal and we can unfortunately only consider candidates currently based in the following locations: France, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, UK & Ireland.