Tell the story of open source in business and IT
Canonical, the publisher of Ubuntu, has a growing portfolio of open-source products and solutions. We aim to be the default provider of open source to the world, making it easier for organisations and individuals, from governments to startups and students, to benefit from the extraordinary wealth of innovation that open source provides. Our product management organisation has a team of writers with the mission to tell our integrated story – not the details of specific products, but rather the woven narrative that brings them together to shape the IT landscape and experience. This is effectively the voice of the company from a product perspective, and we are looking for people who are as passionate about open source as we are.
You will work closely with product managers and marketing managers on content production and planning. You will ensure quality and consistency, and improve our content strategy to achieve business objectives. You might review product-specific materials to help a product manager tell that story, but your responsibility will be to tell cross-cutting narratives that connect the dots between products, or groups of products. From IoT to the data centre, from cloud to the desktop, Ubuntu and Canonical bring together the best of open source to enable visionaries, entrepreneurs and changemakers to achieve their goals. This team tells that story.
Location: This team works in Europe, Middle East and Africa time zones and positions can be filled anywhere from Cape Town to Tromso.
What your day will look like
- Write content for Canonical.com to deepen understanding of our portfolio
- Review and provide feedback on content to help our product and marketing teams tell engaging stories
- Collaborate to map the buyer’s journey and implement a content strategy that optimises that journey
- Maintain an editorial calendar for your content and provide progress updates to the broader team
- Perform content performance audits to understand the effectiveness of your content
- Participate in person in quarterly content planning sessions
What we are looking for
- Demonstrated interest in technology, preferably with open source at heart
- Ability to write authoritative and engaging content – portfolio of written work required
- Appreciation for the written word and the ability to write persuasive copy
- A problem solver: you don’t shy away from taking on challenges
- A finisher who sees projects through to completion
- Attention to detail and appreciation for standards
- Appreciation for knowledge sharing and a collaborative attitude
- Practical experience with search engine optimisation
- Willingness to travel up to 4 times a year for internal events
Additional skills that you might also bring
- Applied skills in product marketing
- Applied knowledge of content marketing attribution
- An eye for layout and design
What we offer you
We consider geographical location, experience, and performance in shaping compensation worldwide. We revisit compensation annually (and more often for graduates and associates) to ensure we recognise outstanding performance. In addition to base pay, we offer a performance-driven annual bonus. We provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. We balance our programs to meet local needs and ensure fairness globally.
- Distributed work environment with twice-yearly team sprints in person – we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
- Personal learning and development budget of USD 2,000 per year
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues from your team and others
- Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events
Canonical is a pioneering tech firm that is at the forefront of the global move to open source. As the company that publishes Ubuntu, one of the most important open source projects and the platform for AI, IoT and the cloud, we are changing the world on a daily basis. We recruit on a global basis and set a very high standard for people joining the company. We expect excellence – in order to succeed, we need to be the best at what we do.
Canonical has been a remote-first company since its inception in 2004. Work at Canonical is a step into the future, and will challenge you to think differently, work smarter, learn new skills, and raise your game. Canonical provides a unique window into the world of 21st-century digital business.