The Supercritical mission
The climate crisis is the single-biggest threat to humanity. Supercritical’s mission is to help businesses get to net zero and to scale carbon removal technologies. We’re building software to enable companies to understand their climate impact and purchase high quality carbon removal offsets.
We are thrilled to have recently raised our $13m Series A, led by Lightspeed Ventures to accelerate this journey.
Join us to help carbon removal technologies to scale so that the planet is ready for net zero by 2050! Come and help us save the planet!
Why is carbon removal critical?
Carbon removal includes nature-based solutions like biochar and cutting-edge technologies that literally pull carbon from the sky and store it underground for millennia. We need to scale to remove 10 billion tons a year by 2050 to stay below 1.5 degrees of warming. This is over 14,000x the rate we are removing carbon at today. We’ve only removed a few thousand tonnes to date. This will be a trillion dollar industry by 2050.
- We care about spending time with our families and prioritise our time accordingly.
- We actively work on diversity and are incredibly proud that half our investors are women.
- We value humility and self-awareness. We can’t learn if we’re not constantly seeking to improve.
- We’re kind to each other. Life’s too short to feel shitty about yourself because someone else is being unkind.
- We broach difficult conversations early. We can do this because we trust each other
- We know the best way to build a company is to test assumptions as quickly as possible. That means we push ourselves to move faster than we feel comfortable doing.
- We are remote first with quarterly working get-togethers in London, monthly socials and 1-2 days of optional office time in London per week
- We’re ruthless about prioritising what we think will have the biggest impact.
About the design team
You’ll be just the second full-time design hire at Supercritical, reporting to the Head of Design. Design works within the Product team closely in conjunction with PMs and engineers. We’re a small, but growing company, so this role will be hugely impactful in shaping both the culture of design at Supercritical, as well as the broader culture of the company.
We’re looking for a product designer to join our business as we enter an exciting phase of growth. We want to find someone capable of crafting thoughtful, high quality user interfaces, who understands the importance of digital experiences as a brand touchpoint. If you’re motivated by answering design, user and strategic questions, for the good of the planet, then you could be a great fit.
You’ll be a great fit if:
- You’re experienced in using Figma
- You’ve shipped products and seen how your design decisions affect them over time
- You’re proactive, can work independently, and be resilient in a fast-paced industry
- You believe in clear, easy-to-understand communication
- You demonstrate good taste, and can articulate why you think a piece of design is good or bad; successful or unsuccessful
- You understand and care about your craft; but you’re willing to make tradeoffs, and be scrappy where necessary, to move quickly
- You’re happy to share ideas early and value feedback from others
- You’re motivated by contributing to climate change solutions
What you’ll be doing:
- Designing products end-to-end, for both our carbon footprinting and removal software
- Designing our main marketing website and micro sites
- Designing design: As designer number 2, you’ll be instrumental in defining the product design process at Supercritical
- Shaping how the world thinks about carbon removal: as a nascent industry, you’ll have an incredible opportunity to define how carbon removal is communicated
- Making tradeoffs that take into account user experience, business priorities, and engineering effort
- Working cross-functionally with Product Management, Engineering, Marketing, and Sales teams to deliver products that meet customer needs
- Tackling problems as you see fit, using tools you’re comfortable with: wireframing, creating interactive prototypes, doing user research — whatever works to help solve the challenge at hand
- Sharing your work early and often in your team, and presenting regularly to the wider company
Salary: £80,000 – £100,000 per annum
- Generous stock options
- Unlimited annual leave
- 1 company-wide day off every month
- Hybrid working: remote first with option to work from a London office 1-2 days per week
- £1000 annual wellbeing allowance
- £500 working-from-home equipment budget
- Monthly company socials
Diversity and Inclusion
We’ve been committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace since day one of the company. We’re the only company we’re aware of with a 50:50 gender balanced list of investors and our day to day processes are always defined with D&I in mind, for example our remote first policy and flexibility around working time.
We are excited to encourage applications and interest from individuals underrepresented in the climate and tech space. Climate change and climate justice is a social issue that cuts across race and gender. We welcome applicants with lived experience across these issues.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire.
UK Sponsorship & Applicants currently outside the UK
- UK Work Sponsorship: Unfortunately, at this stage of our growth, we are unable to offer UK sponsorship to applicants
- Candidates who live outside the UK and within 3 hours of the GMT/BST timezone who are willing to travel to London quarterly are encouraged to apply. Please note we will use an Employer of Record arrangement in these circumstance