At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place, and making our workplace a happy place. We hope you can join us on this journey!
We are the people behind WordPress.com, Tumblr, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and more. We are looking for an Org Wrangler to join our WordPress.com team. This role will report directly to the GM of WordPress.com and will be tasked with helping us keep a pulse on people, processes, planning, and performance across the org.
WordPress.com is looking for an extraordinary Org Wrangler to ensure that the GM’s priorities are executed successfully across a rapidly growing organization. The Org Wrangler will build strong relationships, work with leads to establish clear processes for their teams, ensure that planning and goal setting is taking place across the org, and will keep a pulse on the performance of both individuals and teams. This position will function as a multiplier for the GM, ensuring the organization’s operational procedures reflect the GM’s vision, strategy, and culture.
- Build strong relationships of trust with both leads and team members within the WordPress.com org.
- Oversee clear documentation of processes across the entire org.
- Oversee org-wide planning, goal setting, and retros.
- Monitor performance of teams and individuals within the org, providing praise and positive feedback whenever folks are doing well
- Work with our team leads to ensure that every role within the org has a well defined, agreed upon list of expectations and responsibilities.
- Work with leads to ensure that they are providing regular (weekly) feedback to each team member around how well they are meeting their expectations and responsibilities.
- Facilitate quarterly planning for the WordPress.com executive team. Establish company strategic priorities and metrics for success. Revisit and re-evaluate metrics regularly.
- Create operational procedures for the executive leadership team that are consistent and accountable, to help the org build momentum, alignment, and clarity.
Skills and Qualities
The Org Wrangler position might be a good fit for you if you:
- Have empathy.
- Have experience with coaching.
- Have a net-positive attitude.
- Have high emotional intelligence.
- Are organized and motivational in written and verbal communication.
- Can drive projects through organization, process, and influence.
- Are an exceptional project planner.
- Are analytical, structured, and business-minded.
- Are able to synthesize chaos and recommend a plan of action.
- Have experience working with an executive leadership team.
- Have experience working in a distributed environment.
- Demonstrate ownership in your work.
Deep expertise in the following areas will be vital for success in this role:
Coaching – Mentors the team for continued professional development. Uplifts the morale of the team with a positive mentality. Love of learning is a huge plus!
A collaborative mindset: At Automattic, we routinely work across traditional ‘swim lanes’ to multiply our efforts. You’ll bring both a clear vision on the impact you can have with the team, and an open mind to working with our teams collaboratively.
Operations Experience – A proven background in setting up systems, processes, and load balancing to enable team members and collaborators to deliver high-quality work on time and within budget.
Strategic expertise – Ability to see the bigger picture, join the dots, set and carry through on a robust but iterative strategy across the entire org.
Decision Making – Shows complexity in thought when considering resource tradeoffs in the pursuit of measured business impact. Acts as a highly strategic and inspirational leader within the team and among cross-functional partners. Can procure supporting data to make informed decisions. Familiarity with prioritization frameworks is a plus.
Communication – Ability to simply express complicated concepts, with excellent written, oral, and illustrative communication styles. Listens to and considers alternative perspectives to identify the optimal path forward.
Project Management – Develops systems for accountability across teams and drives initiatives forward to completion and measures estimated vs. actualized impact. All team members are encouraged to hone this skill as part of their responsibilities.
Nice to have: Understanding and knowledge of the WordPress ecosystem is a plus, including but not limited to having built websites on the WordPress platform, being a member of the WordPress community, and/or understanding the various products and tools within the Automattic portfolio.
How to Apply
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Please include an answer to the following question in your cover letter:
- Tell us examples of where you’ve previously helped wrangle the people, process, planning, or performance needs of an org.
Applicants who do not submit their cover letter with their answer will not be considered.
We are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Jetpack, Tumblr, Simplenote, Longreads, Day One, and more. We believe in making the web a better place.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1600 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.