We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the group
The Content and Discovery super-group consists of 5 groups, 30+ teams and 200+ individuals who work together towards two common goals:
To bring every ingredient needed to create any design into Canva’s platform by working with a diverse range of template designers, illustrators, photographers and other content producers. This includes templates, photos, illustrations, videos, audio, graphics and more.
To surface this content strategically to maximise engagement in the Canva platform, and to surface this content selectively through Google to acquire new users searching for design and template solutions. This means building search and discovery features in the app, building SEO marketplaces and scaling these products internationally.
Are you excited to drive strategic projects and lead operational process improvement initiatives for a fast-growing business? Are you comfortable digging into business processes, identifying wastes and proposing innovative technological solutions to scale the business? If so, you would be the right person for the Operations Manager role that we are seeking.
We’re looking for an operational powerhouse with a proven track record of delivering results with teams that are rapidly scaling.
You thrive building systems, teams and processes that accommodate change and allow for growth. You understand the people part of effective operations as much as the data-driven aspect and are comfortable playing to both.
You have a collaborative spirit and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, ready to roll up your sleeves and work with a varied range of stakeholders and teams.
You’re focused on growth, hyper-organized and an effective communicator and leader. You’re passionate about what you do and ready to take on the biggest challenge of your career at Canva.
What you’ll do
- Exponentially grow Canva traffic, working with an SEO/CRO Specialist.
- Promote Canva’s presentation product and grow MAUs through experimentation and iteration together with an SEO/CRO Specialist.
- Identify and manage team needs with regards to resourcing, processes, tools, documentation, asset management and more.
- Coach team members on best practice considerations and methods for operations and scaling for team growth and velocity. Team members may be from various crafts including design, copywriting and growth and across different countries.
- Manage the team and ensure they have everything they need to do their jobs effectively by building team processes, assessing their work and impact on the business, owning administrative duties that align with vendor and contractor management such as invoicing/payments/access to tooling.
- Collaborating and working with stakeholders both internal and external to get alignment and ensure operational processes and work map to those requirements.
- Play a lead role in aligning and influencing relevant stakeholders across teams (in Sydney and Spain) and specialities, facilitating and building out best practice workflows.
- Understand user, business, and team pain points and create new tools and processes (and/or optimise existing ones), in collaboration with the team, and solve these pain points through simplification, removing roadblocks and continuous improvement of operational efficiency that will drive business impact.
- All facets of operational processes such as identifying, documenting, assessing, strategising, aligning, auditing and communicating processes and removing roadblocks, in alignment with business objectives with key stakeholders.
- End-to-end project coordination, from ideation through to delivery and measurement, of operational projects.
- Drive a culture of simplification, clarity and continuous improvement through best practice sharing, and hands-on leadership to encourage process adoption in alignment with business objectives.
- Measure and analyse issues and operational programs and communicate the business impact of these programs.
- Continuously optimise and improve processes for business growth, operational efficiency and team velocity.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the business landscape, our vision and how the product, processes and team works. Combine the use of this knowledge with both qualitative and quantitative data to drive short and long term planning, in collaboration with the team.
- Partner with product, engineering, templates (and other stakeholders as necessary) to build strategies, define priorities and clarify roles and responsibilities.
- Other operational duties as required.
Required skills and experience
- 3+ years of Operations or general management/coordination experience, with proven success in scaling teams and processes.
- Experience prioritising, managing and tracking multiple projects and teams.
- Ability to deal with ambiguous problems and build solutions with project management.
- Experience identifying, developing, analysing and communicating performance metrics. Experience developing dashboards + ability to write SQL queries is advantageous.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally (experience working with growth and engineering is favourable).
- Proven experience initiating and leading large-scale projects from brief through to delivery and measurement.
- A natural leader who can rally teams of all kinds, and influence peers across the organisation.
- Experience managing direct reports and/or contractors.
- A bias for action, constantly striving to get things done.
- You have a strong sense of urgency when it comes to unblocking teams.
- Work experience in a fast-paced startup environment is highly beneficial.
- Ability to problem solve and think strategically (beyond just the here and now), and synthesise lots of complex information to come up with solutions with tangible impact.
- Truly self-motivated with a desire to constantly learn, develop and grow in the role.
- A keen eye for detail and a strong desire to uphold high standards of excellence.
- Keen presentation and great design skills (Canva made that bit easy!)