Who we are
At Fortis Games we aspire to make great games that bring people together while redefining how game companies work. We believe in building a sense of belonging through our games, their communities, and how we operate and treat each other. Through our game communities, we will create powerful connections and lasting memories. We will foster a culture of diversity, equity and belonging where together our diverse skills, experiences and backgrounds impact the games we make.
We are an early but mighty organization with a leadership team of game industry veterans. There are many opportunities for you to have a big impact on the products we’ll be making as well as the overall direction of the company. If you’re passionate about tackling difficult problems with direct and thoughtful communication and team first mentality, we may be the right place for you.
About the role
What you will achieve
Provide legal advice and guidance on a broad range of topics with a main focus on employment and privacy, as well as support the GC in any other area that is relevant to the business. This includes:
- Be the go-to person for legal support on any global employment matters and ensure that the people team receives effective and business-focused legal advice.
- Liaise between the People team and, if necessary, outside counsel.
- Build up strong relationships with internal stakeholders, outside counsel and third party vendors.
- Draft contract templates, policies and handbooks for our local operations, and ensure that they are being regularly updated.
- Guide and collaborate with the people team on the international expansion of our employment operation to facilitate the growth of Fortis on an international scale.
- Give workshops and training to the people team on any legal topic that may be of relevance to them.
- Support special projects, such as acquisitions or incorporations.
- Partner up with key stakeholders (people team, game teams and the security team) to continuously improve our privacy and security framework
- Provide highly specific advice and guidance on any relevant privacy topic worldwide and manage our privacy program (including the review of DPAs and DPIAs).
- Review contractual agreements and ensure adequate privacy standards are implemented in all our agreements with third parties.
- Manage the regulatory relationships with data protection authorities worldwide.
- Give workshops and awareness training to the game and people teams.
What you’ll need to be successful
- 8+ years of practical experience in the legal field, with core expertise in employment and/or privacy.
- In-house and/or private practice experience working with a high-growth internationally operating tech company; video game industry experience is an advantage
- Experienced with international employment matters, across any topic and in multiple jurisdictions worldwide, especially EU, US and Latin America.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant privacy frameworks (ie GDPR); experience operating a global privacy program a plus
- Ability to successfully juggle several projects and matters in multiple jurisdictions simultaneously.
- A natural curiosity and eagerness to learn – we believe this is essential to our ability to stay ahead of the market and value this over years of experience
- Maintains awareness of the latest regulatory trends and has a perspective on how they relate to current and future projects; you continue being students of your craft and the spaces you are working in
Why join us
There are many reasons to join us, but here are a few:
- We strongly believe we are changing how games studios operate and at the core of what we do is making great games that create a connected community
We’re not just about making Games Where You Belong. We’re also about building communities where our people belong. That’s why Fortis is a thriving environment that celebrates diversity, embraces inclusivity, and fosters growth.
Build and grow with a seasoned team of accomplished talent who have left an impactful mark in their disciplines, both in and out of gaming
Fortis is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.