Please include a COVER LETTER with your CV (in English) when applying, detailing how you meet the criteria set below in the ABOUT YOU section… And also why you want to join Wikifactory, and any questions you have for us.
Location: Fully remote. Of course, you also have the option to work from our headquarters in Copenhagen, our hub in Madrid, or any other city.
Package: very attractive package for the right person.
Wikifactory is the world’s first SaaS social platform for collaborative product development which enables teams to design together, prototype faster, and manufacture smarter. Inspired by the workflows of agile and open source software development, we are building the tools to accelerate the development of (physical) products. Our community includes designers, engineers, makers, technologists, teachers, students and enterprises. Covering industries, including robotics and drones, electric vehicles, 3d printers, biotech, agri-tech, and smart furniture, our community spread across 180 countries and has published over 2500 open source hardware design projects on the platform.
Headquartered in Copenhagen, Denmark, with offices in Madrid and Shenzhen, Wikifactory is on a mission to connect the productive capacity of smart manufacturing with the creative potential of product developers, through open standards and accessible applications – an “Internet of Production”.
Our Legal Counsel proactively manages all legal matters for Wikifactory, in particular focusing on alignment with the business strategy while reporting directly to the COO. You will also be the lead person interacting with, and being supported by, various law firms in all the jurisdictions where Wikifactory operates. Finally, you will act as Secretary to the Board of Directors and report directly to the Chairman and CEO in some areas.
This requires the Legal Counsel to provide advice on general intellectual property law, labour law, corporate law as well as partnerships and commercial ventures. Other tasks might involve engaging in strategic discussions on product launches and maintaining investor relations. You must have a good grasp of handling complex situations with many stakeholders while ensuring progress on key objectives.
In addition, you will monitor and provide research on relevant technology and open-source policies in order to discern how Wikifactory and its community may be impacted. This involves developing materials and strategies for informing community members as well as external and internal stakeholders.
Ideally, we are looking for someone with at least 3 years PQE and proven experience with startups and navigating a sometimes complex international legal environment. We prioritise experience within IP, especially if you have worked with platform-based businesses or SaaS companies.
In line with the description outlined above the Legal Counsel should:
- Provide legal advice and support on matters related to intellectual property law, internet law as well as corporate law, while maintaining a good relationship with authorities.
- Act as Secretary to the Board and ensure that relevant resolutions and decisions are carried out properly and registered with the authorities.
- Handle investor relations and complex stakeholder management.
- Anticipate and manage (legal) risks connected with or resulting from the business strategy and operations of the company.
- Draft and maintain all legal documents related to the operation of the business.
- Draft and negotiate commercial agreements.
- Monitor and offer guidance to management, the community and the business on developments in copyright, patent, trademark, intermediary liability, access to knowledge, international conflicts of laws and free content licensing.
- Write and draft internal blog posts, presentations, educational materials and working documents resulting from the analyses carried out.
- Create policy-relevant internal databases that provide management and the business with background on various topics.
- Proactively ensure that the business is compliant and continues to be compliant with general EU law as well as domestic law in the countries where Wikifactory operates in.
- Advise on all legal ad-hoc questions ranging from general corporate law to more complex questions on IP protection and regulatory matters related to the operation of platforms.
- Develop an open-source policy and strategy in collaboration with the management and our community.
WHAT WE OFFER
Wikifactory is a thriving business in the rapidly developing area of online hardware manufacturing with ambitions of scaling in the coming years. This means that we expect your role will evolve in the near future, which will bring exciting challenges for the right candidate.
In addition, you will find:
- An international environment with offices in Denmark, China and Spain.
- A social culture where we work across departments and involve you in larger strategic decisions.
- A chance to join a growing company with an ambitious perspective.
- Responsibility for your own department with a direct referral to the Executive Team and the Board of Directors.
- Work in a wide range of practice areas.
- Flexible work schedule.
The salary is competitive and will be based on your experience. Join our journey towards not only becoming a market leader but to change the world!
We expect the right candidate to be able to start as soon as possible and preferably in August/September.
We are a remote-first company, and also allow hybrid working should you wish to be based at any of our offices.