Remote is solving global remote organizations’ biggest challenge: employing anyone anywhere compliantly. We make it possible for businesses big and small to employ a global team by handling global payroll, benefits, taxes, and compliance. Check out remote.com/how-it-works to learn more or if you’re interested in adding to the mission, scroll down to apply now.
Please take a look at remote.com/handbook to learn more about our culture and what it is like to work here. Not only do we encourage folks from all ethnic groups, genders, sexuality, age and abilities to apply, but we prioritize a sense of belonging. You can check out independent reviews by other candidates on Glassdoor or look up the results of our candidate surveys to see how others feel about working and interviewing here.
All of our positions are fully remote. You do not have to relocate to join us!
What this job can offer you
- Joining our Legal Team and specifically our Watchtower Project, with a mission to ensure compliance with all employment laws and regulations by monitoring and implementing all relevant changes across the organization.
- The team’s mission: Delivering innovative and practical legal solutions for Remote’s products and services while mitigating risks. The team is comprised of generalists who handle initial legal support, supported by specialized sub-teams of Product, Employment, Sales & Commercial, Regulatory & Business Affairs, and Risk & Governance. The team is also supported by a growing Legal Operations function that provides operational support and drives continuous improvement through adoption of technology, data, process improvement and new ways of working.
- Be part of the team responsible for the legal soundness of our business model, advice around set up of new entities, and contract templates, along with contract negotiation and redlining, data protection and employment law compliance.
What you bring
- Knowledge management or similar experience working in a legal environment essential
- Legal Ops or/and Law background a must. Specifically, Project management, Legal Transformation and automation previous experience
- Worked previously in a Legal Editor position or equivalent at an industry leading research tools company, or Legal Researcher background in labour law (eg. PhD student) a plus
- English + Proficient in at least one other language a plus
- Strong legal research skills with experience using Westlaw, Practical Law, Lexology and other legal research tools
- Ability to interpret, analyze, organize, and express complex legal material quickly and accurately
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills and reading comprehension
- Dependable team player with high energy, creativity and vision who works collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to switch between multiple different projects and work under pressure
- Ability to learn and master Remote’s communication application (Slack), contract management system (Juro/internal platform/CLM), documentation sources (Notion, Google Drive, etc.), and assignment management systems (KissFlow/Zendesk/Zip/Coupa).
- Writes and speaks fluent English
- It’s not required to have experience working remotely, but considered a plus
- Support our the entire legal team and Remote focusing on our Watchtower Function responsible for managing the incoming regulatory and identifying relevant laws across all the jurisdictions Remote is available (+80 globally), with a focus on Employment Laws.
- Responsible for checking databases and other publicly available resources on a regular basis and store these changes in the appropriate knowledge hub area (Notion), engaging with local law firms, research tools (such as Lexology Pro, Practical Law/ Westlaw) and Governmental and Legislative Websites.
- You are expected to manage routine changes and to engage /escalate more complex changes with specialised /senior in-house team members or local counsel, as applicable.
- To digest complex legal information and translate it into easily understandable language for individuals who may not have a legal background. This involves distilling intricate legal concepts, statutes, and regulations into clear and concise explanations that resonate with non-legal professionals within the organization.
- Your role is crucial in bridging the gap between legal intricacies and practical comprehension, facilitating effective communication with other teams, our clients and other stakeholders so they can navigate hiring globally
- Assist Legal with limited contract review
- Assist with other legal, legal ops, advisory and compliance work as required.
- You’ll report to: Managing counsel – CX and Ops
- Direct reports: 0
- Team: Legal – CX and Ops team
- Location: For this position we welcome everyone to apply, but we will prioritise applications from the following locations as we encourage our teams to diversify: EMEA
- Start date: As soon as possible
Remote Compensation Philosophy
Remote’s Total Rewards philosophy is to ensure fair, unbiased compensation and fair equity pay along with competitive benefits in all locations in which we operate. We do not agree to or encourage cheap-labor practices and therefore we ensure to pay above in-location rates. We hope to inspire other companies to support global talent-hiring and bring local wealth to developing countries.
At first glance our salary bands seem quite wide – here is some context. At Remote we have international operations and a globally distributed workforce. We use geo ranges to consider geographic pay differentials as part of our global compensation strategy to remain competitive in various markets while we hiring globally.
The base salary range for this full-time position is between $25,300 USD to $85,300 USD. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location, and our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay for the successful candidate in this role is dependent upon many factors such as location, transferable or job-related skills, work experience, relevant training, business needs, and market demands. The base salary range may be subject to change.
Roughly  hours across 6 weeks
- Interview with recruiter
- Interview with future manager
- Interview with team members (no managers present)
- (optional) Interview with General Counsel
- Prior employment verification check
- work from anywhere
- unlimited personal time off (minimum 4 weeks)
- quarterly company-wide day off for self care
- flexible working hours (we are async)
- 16 weeks paid parental leave
- mental health support services
- stock options
- learning budget
- home office budget & IT equipment
- budget for local in-person social events or co-working spaces
How you’ll plan your day (and life)
We work async at Remote which means you can plan your schedule around your life (and not around meetings). Read more at remote.com/async.
You will be empowered to take ownership and be proactive. When in doubt you will default to action instead of waiting. Your life-work balance is important and you will be encouraged to put yourself and your family first, and fit work around your needs.
If that sounds like something you want, apply now!
How to apply
- Please fill out the form below and upload your CV with a PDF format.
- We kindly ask you to submit your application and CV in English, as this is the standardised language we use here at Remote.
- If you don’t have an up to date CV but you are still interested in talking to us, please feel free to add a copy of your LinkedIn profile instead.
We will ask you to voluntarily tell us your pronouns at interview stage, and you will have the option to answer our anonymous demographic questionnaire when you apply below. As an equal employment opportunity employer it’s important to us that our workforce reflects people of all backgrounds, identities, and experiences and this data will help us to stay accountable. We thank you for providing this data, if you chose to.
Need help? Email firstname.lastname@example.org