Atom Learning is looking for a junior-level front-end developer, with experience in React, to join our growing engineering team.
Our engineers re-invent education by working in cross-functional, autonomous pods. Each pod is self organising and adopts Scrum or Kanban depending on their unique challenges at the time. Our back-end microservices are built using Node & Typescript with a strong focus on testing and good engineering practices. Our front-end is built using React & ESNext, with CSS/HTML and testing in Jest using the React Testing Library and Cypress.
You will be responsible for creating new features, refactoring and improving the codebase, and working on tooling and services to support the growth of our product. This role enables you to directly contribute towards user-facing aspects of the product alongside internal services for the Atom team.
- You will develop features using React, ESNext, HTML and CSS;
- You will test the codebase using Jest, React Testing Library and Cypress;
- You will participate in code reviews to maintain our coding standards;
- You will analyse and organise technical work to deliver measurable improvements for our products and development experience; and
- You will document your work and share this across the engineering team.
Need to have
- Some React experience either through a boot camp, education or work experience
- Ability to write semantic and contextually relevant markup, with an interest in applying best practices for the purpose of accessibility;
- Experience scaffolding and working with a modern web application;
- Experience writing CSS;
- Understanding of the value of testing;
- A focus on technical solutions and optimisation; and
- A desire to systemise and codify conventions when implementing features.
Nice to have
- Experience in optimising the critical path, and measuring and fixing performance issues;
- Understanding of common design patterns in React, such as component composition, localised state and memorisation;
- Experience with Typescript on React projects;
- Experience with React powered tools (Next.js);
- Experience in building and/or integrating a design system into a website;
- Interest in the user experience; and
- An inquisitive and pragmatic working style; feels empowered to communicate issues in the pursuit of excellent work.
- 28 days holiday and bank holidays;
- Fully remote/flexible work (currently working fully remote);
- Competitive pay;
- Full auto-enrolment workplace pension;
- High degree of autonomy and exposure to the running of all business areas of a successful startup; and
- The opportunity to become an integral member of a fast-growing technology company.
Our mission is to provide affordable, high-quality education to all children globally, regardless of background. To achieve our goal, we are combining exceptional teacher-made content with cutting-edge technology.
We want to attract and retain brilliant people and then give them maximum freedom and responsibility so that they can innovate and create great products that help people. Think this could be you? We welcome mission-driven candidates who are excited to bring their ambition and conscientiousness to our company.
Whether fully remote, hybrid or local Londoner, working at Atom Learning guarantees you a talented, supportive team. We’re a growing team of almost 100 – everyone will work hard alongside you and we know how to have fun and celebrate the big wins too! You’ll be given a lot of responsibility early on and trusted to complete your work in the way you think is best. You will solve difficult problems with a huge impact for positive social change, and you’ll learn a lot along the way.
We are ranked one of the UK’s top 100 startups by Startups100 and were recently selected to join Tech Nation’s Upscale programme as one of the UK’s leading scale ups. We have previously been a finalist in the Lloyds Bank Business Awards, the Education Investor Awards and Amazon Growing Business Awards, and won the Best AI-based Solution for Education in the AI Breakthrough Awards.