Lingokids is looking for a Junior Backend Engineer to join our backend chapter and help us build and deliver amazing educational experiences to the children of the millions of families that use our mobile application.
At Lingokids we encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. We actively seek to hire individuals with different perspectives and we are eager to continue diversifying our company’s culture. We strive to be an inclusive, supportive place where you can do the best work of your career.
Our offices are in Madrid, Spain but the position is open to anyone with experience working remotely. Some overlap with Central European Time is expected though, for those times when a video call is the most efficient way to communicate.
About the job:
As a Junior Backend Engineer, you will help build upon and improve the API services that deliver a personalized learning experience to millions of families worldwide. You will also get a chance to work on internal tools that help us better understand our users and offer them exactly what they need.
More specifically, you will:
- Work on a majestic modular monolith built with Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Redis, and Sidekiq.
- Help document product, technical, and architectural decisions for the benefit of both engineering and product audiences.
- Improve our experimentation platform to help in scaling up the number of experiments.
- Own your work from development to production and ensure its quality, maintainability and supportability.
The ideal teammate for us would be someone who believes that communication, empathy, inquisitiveness, and open-mindedness are fundamental to being successful in any endeavor.
Having a passion for learning, an enthusiasm for collaborative work, and a willingness to create meaningful solutions to business problems is key for this role. We will also expect a proactive attitude and desire to drive improvement from you.
Some technical knowledge is also needed:
- Backend stack: HTTP, Relational Databases. More advanced topics like Background Processing Systems and/or Asynchronous Messaging Systems are a bonus but not strictly necessary.
- Experience designing and developing APIs with Ruby on Rails or a similar framework (e.g. Django, Express.js, Symphony,…).
- Familiarity with practices like TDD, SOLID principles, OO design, and pair programming.
English is a must. We are a multicultural team and we are providing a service in English so, we don’t care about certificates but we expect you to be able to communicate fluently.
You should feel equally comfortable communicating in long-form writing. Given the circumstances, we have become a fully remote company and we are firm believers that being articulate in both spoken and written long-form asynchronous communication is key to working efficiently together.
If you think you don’t tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you. Nobody checks every box, and we are looking for someone excited to join the team.
Salary range: 25.000€ – 35.000€