The worldwide data management software market is massive (IDC forecasts it to be $136 billion by 2027!). At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading developer data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
MongoDB is seeking a Head of Risk Technology (HRT). They will be the corporate executive responsible for overseeing the company’s overall risk management and is tasked with assessing and mitigating significant technological, regulatory and competitive threats to the organization. The HRT will report to our Chief Information Security Officer.
The HRT is responsible for all risk management strategies and operations, as well as supervising the organization’s risk mitigation and identification procedures. This includes the responsibility for proactively identifying, analyzing and managing the risks that impact our organization. This role will be responsible for designing relevant risk strategies focused on data protection, risk assurance and facilitating the eradication of threats and system vulnerabilities as well as monitoring procedures that might give risk to risk exposure. The HRT is responsible for ensuring MongoDB is compliant with industry certifications and regulatory requirements on a global, federal, State and local level.
- Augment existing comprehensive and continuous risk assessment processes for all areas of the business.
- Work with other executives to ensure risk assessments are integrated into strategic planning and decision-making.
- Monitor and analyze risks within the company’s business units and report on these risks to the Board of Directors and senior management.
- Augment existing procedures to report risk incidents and propose solutions and plans to prevent future incidents.
- Monitor compliance with risk policies and regulations and ensure all business activities align with risk management strategies.
- Lead the development of risk management programs related to data security, privacy, and compliance in accordance with current legislation and standards.
- Lead risk assessments and identify potential areas of technology-related vulnerabilities including data breaches, cyber threats, system failures and regulatory compliance issues.
- Enhance our corporate risk awareness program and conduct training to ensure all stakeholders are aware of risk factors.
- Provide regular risk reports to the executive leadership, incorporating both qualitative and quantitative metrics.
- Keep updated on emerging technology trends and their associated risks, to proactively address potential issues before they escalate.
- Act as a trusted advisor to project and product teams, helping them understand the risk implications of different technology decisions.
This is a critically important role and a great opportunity to build out a formalized risk management function that covers the entire spectrum of risk. This is crucial for us to be able to effectively scale to support our customer’s needs. MongoDB is a breakthrough company that is disrupting a $100B+ market.
This position can be remote, but will require trips to NY and other offices as required with travel expected 25% of the time.
The right candidate for this role will have:
- At least 15 years experience in risk management, preferably in the financial and/or tech industry.
- A deep understanding of technology and risk management, particularly in the financial sector and regulatory landscape.
- The ability to formulate and execute a long term strategy for managing technology risk that aligns with our disruptive and agile business model.
- A strong grasp of database technologies, cybersecurity and system architecture.
- A strong understanding of financial markets to help us better assess and understand the potential risks and opportunities specific to this sector (and other areas of critical infrastructure).
- Analytical skills, quantification skills, and requisite expertise to properly assess risk and develop modules and treatments to minimize these risks
- Excellent communication skills in order to properly educate employees and key personnel about risk while also facilitating dialogue and communication among different departments and groups of people
- Technical understanding of IT Security Controls and compliance frameworks such as PCI DSS, ISO 27001, SOC 2, HIPAA and NIST 800-53
- A strong understanding of cloud environments
- An enthusiastic spirit that is capable of having difficult conversations and speaking up to fight for ethical choices
- Excellent strategic planning skills
- Excellent visionary leadership skills
The Head of Risk Technology will be successful in this role when they can execute the following strategic tasks:
- People: Collaborate with business leads to understand our risk posture as well as expand the the governance, risk and compliance team in an efficient way to increase risk coverage efficiently.
- Organization: Ability to manage multiple parallel efforts and prioritize resources based upon understanding and interpreting business needs. Being able to properly prioritizes and quantify risk.
- Communication: Successfully communicate your recommendations and rationale to both technical and non-technical management
- Research: Gather and analyze feedback from internal stakeholders and develop pragmatic recommendations with respect to risk mitigation and company compliance initiatives
- Customer Service: Ensure all information is communicated in a way that leaders can understand risk impact and use the data derived to make informed and strategic choices. Ensure MongoDB’s Governance, Risk and Compliance Program operates efficiently with minimal interruption to MongoDB teams. Provide great customer service when interfacing with other MongoDB Teams
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB is an equal opportunities employer.