About the job
At Springbok, we have an ambitious goal: To democratise access to knowledge and information. We believe that AI has the potential to be the most powerful force for good of our time and we are committed to combining thoughtful design with AI to enable any business to create an exceptional customer experience.
Do you have a passion for creating a truly great place to work? And would you enjoy doing these things with an employer who puts people first and takes work-life balance seriously? Let’s talk specifics.
About The Role
Your mission as Head of People and Culture at Springbok will be to create an environment that sparks joy and empowers our team, including yourself, to do their best work.
Our team is comprised of exceptionally smart people with deep expertise, and the combination of our commercial and technical experience helps us punch above our weight and land interesting ML projects with clients ranging from loved brands like Oura Ring to global giants like Experian.
We’re a 15 employee-strong company (and growing) with ca. 30 contractors and your role will be multi-dimensional. You’ll work directly with our CEO and our Head of Operations to co-design and execute on Springbok’s People Strategy. You’ll be in charge of Culture, Comms (internal and external), People Development and Recruitment. Of course there’s also an element of the usual day-to-day HR tasks and you’ll also be the main point of contact for employees’ queries on HR-related topics.
You’re likely to have at least 3 years of professional experience as a leader in People and Culture-related roles. You are a team-oriented, results-driven expert with excellent communication and interpersonal skills. We have a team of high performing, engaged and motivated people and this role will help to make the experience for our team exceptional. We’re a small team, so we appreciate self-starters with a bias for action.
What will you actually be doing?
You’ll be a key part of a growing start-up, so no two days will be alike, but there will be themes:
Scaling us for growth
We’re a start up and we’ll need you to grow the role as we grow. You’ll advise us on what would be best for us to do now and how that will evolve into what we will need to do tomorrow.
- Creating and implementing our HR-related processes. We love automations, and your ideas are welcome!
- Manage and, where relevant, create our company policies (Our employee handbook is on Notion) while ensuring compliance with labour regulations
- Take the lead in our talent acquisition and recruitment process and drive a smooth and fast new-hire onboarding process, coordinating with managers to deliver an exceptional first-day/ week experience
- Facilitate performance management (we’re looking to move from Progression to Lattice)
- Keep abreast of the latest products and ideas in the People and Culture space and come to the business with ideas and creative approaches to traditional problems
- We’ve got a suite of tools already in place: Slack (internal communication), Workable (candidate management), Lattice (coming soon for continuous performance management), Payfit (payroll and annual leave), SmartPension (pension management) and Figures (salary benchmarking) and you’ll be fundamental in ensuring these are used effectively or whether we should consider alternatives or additional tools as we build Springbok together.
Safeguarding the business
You’ll be the expert and an integral part of the leadership team so you’ll be the first point of contact for any and all HR related matters.
- Designing and driving an HR Operations approach that helps us deliver the best outcomes for employees and the company.
- Managing the employee life-cycle from an HR perspective. Your work will span all of the the key stages of the employee lifecycle for all of our employees, from pre-onboarding to performance and growth management through to offboarding.
- Provide support to employees in various HR-related topics such as leaves and compensation and resolve any issues that may arise.
Strengthening and shaping our culture; fostering a culture that sparks joy!
We’re proud of the culture we’ve worked hard to create and we genuinely believe we put our team first. For example, we’re currently in the process of experimenting with a Four Day Working Week for the same pay and benefits! You’ll be pivotal in ensuring that our culture is strengthened and maintained as we grow.
- Building a culture that sparks joy to attract and retain great talent as well as fostering our friendly, open and excellence-driven culture
- Design and drive our initiatives for employee engagement, from socials to off-sites, the little daily perks and quirks and any other ideas you’d like to introduce
- Building and promoting our employer brand on the socials
- Create and execute on our internal for company-wide announcements and initiatives
- Own the strategic alignment, offering and roll-out of our employee perks and benefits
Who You’ll Work With
Everyone. But here are the people you’ll be working very closely with:
- CEO – You’ll report directly to our CEO and founder, Victoria. She’ll be your sounding board and execution support for Culture and Communications-related topics.
- Head of Operations – You’ll collaborate closely with Dan to divide and conquer People Ops topics like compensation management. He’ll also support you in the execution of HR initiatives.
- Head of Engineering – Jason is the day-to-day People Manager for most of our engineering team, and you’ll be working closely with him to keep a pulse on the dev team and wellness initiatives.
We are Springbok AI, a London-based boutique Artificial Intelligence (Machine Learning and Data Science) consultancy, founded in 2017.
Our mission is to democratise access to knowledge and information. We believe that AI has the potential to be the most powerful force for good of our time and we are committed to combining thoughtful design with AI to create meaningful user experiences. We specialise in Natural Language Processing and Machine Vision, meaning we work with language, video and image-based data to help people and companies work smarter instead of harder, enabling them to focus on work that matters.
Furthermore, our commercial projects provide the fuel for our non-profit sector work. Our partnerships with multinationals enables us to simultaneously deliver cutting-edge solutions that accelerate our non-profit clients in making their impact in the world.
Why Springbok, you ask? Like Springboks, we are lean, agile and fast to act. Our solutions are elegant, and beautiful and make AI feel effortless. We work at the intersection of cutting-edge research, data and business challenges to make AI tangible and genuinely useful.
We’re a tight-knit team built on the values of respect, transparency and ownership. The combination of our diverse academic backgrounds – Physics, Neuroscience, Mathematics, Engineering, Chemistry, Psychology, Politics, etc – and our ability to draw on the latest findings in scientific research enables us to offer cutting-edge solutions to our clients that make AI real.
We’re proud to be a people-first company, and to have consistently been awarded 5 stars on Glassdoor by our employees. Find out more about what it’s like to work at Springbok here!
This role is remote, you can be based anywhere in the UK. We have a small and flexible drop-in office in WeWork in London and regular social team hangouts and off-sites. Find out more about what it’s like to work at Springbok here!
We are open to a broad range of candidates and backgrounds and would like to hear from anyone who can demonstrate having worked on the challenges above. For us, it’s imperative that you have:
- Provable experience of working in a Human Resources team, consultancy, People or Culture-related role for 3+ years
- Demonstrable understanding of Human Resources policies, procedures and best practices and a good working knowledge of employment/labour laws
- Experience working for a start-up/scale-up or in a role that has frequent interaction with start-up businesses and a familiarity with the types of challenges we face
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral), interpersonal skills, ethics, and cultural awareness
- Resourceful, problem-solving aptitude and thorough knowledge and a desire to work as a team with a results-driven approach
On top of these skills, it would be nice if you had:
- Experience working in a fast growing business in the technology industry and familiarity with the associated skills of people in our field
- Bachelor’s degree in HR, business, or a related field
- Additional HR qualifications or experience is a plus
- Experience in marketing or communications as we’d love the communication to the team and socials to be fun and engaging
- Experience in organising offsites and social events
Research shows that women are less likely to apply to positions for which do not fit 100% of the job criteria. If you’re excited about the role and meet some of the above criteria but are unsure whether you’re a good fit, we still strongly encourage you to apply. Here at Springbok, your biggest indicator of success is the rate of learning, not pure experience.
Springbok AI is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to growing in an inclusive manner and our position is open to anyone who is excited to contribute to our mission and would love to work with us. Please note that since we’re still a relatively small company and currently don’t sponsor visas. Therefore, the pre-requisites for application include a right to work in the UK e.g. UK citizenship, UK settled or pre-settled status.
- Around 38 days off per year (25 days holidays per year + 8 English Bank Holidays + Company-wide Christmas shutdown)*
- Pension plan (5% company contribution)
- £100 per month for health and well-being
- £500 per year for travel
- Unlimited budget for learning and development
- Access to conferences, internal AI courses and training material
- Flexible and remote working
- Team off-sites
- Note that we reduce the number of annual leave days down by 20% during the 4 day working week experiment.