Zendesk is looking for an experienced Leadership & Talent Development Director, who can take ownership of our holistic talent management and leadership offerings! We’re looking for someone to lead the team, foster valuable external relationships and drive the developmental experience of our leaders and employees. We don’t believe in doing things a certain way just because that’s how they’ve always been done. We want someone who will come to Zendesk with fresh ideas and new ways to approach our work.
This role reports into our VP, Portfolio Integration and Talent & Org Development and works closely with many teams. You lead a small but mighty team of leadership and talent development folks. You are responsible for driving the expertise of our team – how we define that journey, how we assess against it, how we enable our people to grow through feedback, learning opportunities and professional development. It requires very close partnership with the rest of the People & Places Leadership Team, HR Business Partnering, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and other teams.
This is a remote-based role and can be based in the US, Ireland or Singapore.
You’ll be responsible for:
Overall Strategy & Learning Culture
- Own the end-to-end design holistic talent assessment and development process and systems. It must be simple, agile, repeatable and engaging.
- Pull together insights from across our leaders, employees, HR Business Partnering and external partners to derive areas for refinement or expansion of our offerings in response to business needs.
- Drive a Learning Culture at Zendesk, including further adoption of The Lab (our internal e-learning solution), commitment to our leadership Capabilities and Expectations and weaving Learning Culture into all people and places practices (e.g. performance feedback, employee engagement, our talent value proposition etc).
- Design and drive our overall communication & engagement strategy for learning, resulting in high levels of awareness across the company and participation.
- Determine what capabilities Zendesk employees need to be successful in the future, analyse where gaps exist and propose ways in which to bridge those gaps, develop our employees and retain talent.
- Stay current on industry philosophies and approaches, share leading practices, trends, & guidelines related to learning, feedback, culture and career development with our teams and leaders.
- Prepare for key meetings with the P&P leadership team, our Chief People & Diversity Officer and our executive leadership teams as needed.
Leadership & Talent Assessment
- Drive a Feedback Culture at Zendesk, including further adoption of our always-on feedback too. Support the development of increased accountability, transparency and candor in our feedback culture.
- Ensure that a clear thread from assessment & feedback through to rewards and career development exists amongst People & Places practices.
- Oversee our always-on approach to talent assessment based on performance and agility. Develop guidelines, report upon outcomes and drive actions based upon talent placements.
- Lead our approach to executive leadership assessment and development via self- and coach- readiness assessments, 360 feedback and executive decision-making.
Leadership & Talent Development
- Oversee our strategy and plans for showcasing our approach to career development at Zendesk, working with counterparts across Total Rewards, HR Business Partnering and more to make a meaningful impact upon our employees’ career experiences.
- Liaise with our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion colleagues who are responsible for generating and researching areas of potential focus for Talent Development. Ascertain how the needs of our DE&I team can be met via existing and/or new programming.
- Ensure we are empowering employees to manage their own careers and to help managers to coach and guide employees through their careers.
- Derive insights with respect to internal career progression at Zendesk.
- Oversee all our external development partnerships with third party suppliers.
- Constantly challenge our existing programming to ensure it is meeting the needs of our employee population.
Leadership of others
- Drive thought leadership from your team, challenging them to bring their best selves to work.
- Manage (hands on!) the cadence of processes, meetings, check-ins, OKR reviews, certifications of team members, and so forth needed in order to keep the train moving.
- Ensure that our HR Business Partnering and Operations teams receive initiatives from this team in a timely, consistent manner, and that this team receives input and feedback from those teams also. Ensure the supporting Shared Services team members are kept abreast of developments, included in team communications and receiving what they need to be successful.
- Gather with leaders of our global cross-functional learning teams (e.g. within Sales) who come together to align on global learning needs, lead new learning initiatives and who help drive our learning culture across Zendesk.
What you’ll bring to the role:
- You love this stuff. You wake up every day thinking about learning and helping employees be their best at work.
- Know your stuff, especially when it comes to the needs of the modern learners as consumers of information and current trends impacting talent development
- 5+ years experience in talent management and/or development, including a focus on leadership development
- Ability to wrap an employee-centric, holistic narrative around your work, galvanising people around simple, memorable communications
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment – you are comfortable operating in the grey area
- Ability to build relationships based on empathy, and have people look to you for direction and feel supported by you
- You have a proven track record of designing, implementing, and measuring innovative, high-impact learning solutions
- You are able to plan and prioritize effectively in order to manage projects alongside competing projects
- You love whiteboard and blank sheets of paper – and you also love being structured
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and data without losing sight of the bigger picture
- You have experience working globally
- Excellent written communication and interpersonal skills; highly collaborative
About Zendesk – Champions of Customer Service
Zendesk started the customer experience revolution in 2007 by enabling any business around the world to take their customer service online. Today, Zendesk is the champion of great service everywhere for everyone, and powers billions of conversations, connecting more than 100,000 logos with hundreds of millions of customers over telephony, chat, email, messaging, social channels, communities, review sites and help centers. Zendesk products are built with love to be loved. The company was conceived in Copenhagen, Denmark, built and grown in California, taken public in New York City, and today employs more than 4,000 people across the world