When you join Turnitin, you’ll be welcomed into a company that is a recognized innovator in the global education space. For more than 20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas and assessment types. Over 16,000 academic institutions, publishers, and corporations use our services: Gradescope by Turnitin, iThenticate, Turnitin Feedback Studio, Turnitin Originality, Turnitin Similarity, ExamSoft, Ouriginal and ProctorExam.
Turnitin has offices in Australia, India, Indonesia, Germany, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Sweden, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Our diverse community of colleagues are all unified by a shared desire to make a difference in education. Come join us, and let’s make change together.
Turnitin is seeking a Director, Global People Shared Services Transformation via confidential search to join our People team. The People Team enables Turnitin to unleash the full potential of ‘One Team’ and culture, which in turn enables it to deliver its business strategy and purpose.
The People Team is split into four verticals:
- Global People Partners
- Centers of Excellence (COEs)
- People Shared Services (PSS or HR Shared Services)
- People Strategy & Operations (PS&O)
This role will serve as both a strategy architect and hands-on operational leader reporting to the Chief People Officer. A core responsibility for the Director will be to accelerate the People Shared Services transformation, including manager and employee self-service implementation and adoption. In particular, the incumbent will have proven experience with, and be responsible for, the development of a People Services transformation business case and implementation. Implementation of this business case will enable People Business Partners to focus on talent strategy and fact-based HR partnering. Near-term deliverables (i.e., within the first 90 days) include executive level communications of the Shared Services vision (i.e., multi-year cost savings and outsourcing opportunities, self-service automation opportunities, and adoption of HR chatbots or knowledgebase to provide employees with solutions to frequently asked HR questions). While the current state responsibilities for this role are noted below, this job requires the demonstrated ability to develop and actualize a transformational vision that generates a NEW way of working – one that yields standardization, simplification, value and ultimately an efficient and effective employee experience.
- Team Inspiration and Leadership: Lead a team of HR shared services professionals across countries to deliver support to approximately 1,000 employees globally. In addition to immigration, HR systems and people analytics, the team is accountable for solving Tier 1 issues that are routine, as well as undefined and unique which require information gathering, analysis, investigation and follow-up with COEs and employees (Tier 2 and 3). The Director will lead and inspire the team to partner effectively with IT, Finance, People Business Partners and COEs to ensure employee, customer and business needs are met in line with the core Values of One Team, Customer Centric and Global Mindset.
- Shared Services Design and Execution: Conduct comprehensive assessment of all HR administrative functions under existing model and accelerate the implementation of a global shared services function. Lead the end-to-end transition plan for new work into shared services, primarily through automation. Work that is within scope includes: employee HR and benefits questions, new hire onboarding, PEO account management, maternity, paternity, other types of leaves, workplace accommodations, managing benefits & severance administration, Payroll liaison, standard and custom HR/workforce reports and dashboards, compliance reporting, HR vendor billing, benefits reports, records management, employment verification, immigration and I-9 administration. Track performance metrics of the team, ensuring clear SLAs and OKRs that yield an effective and positive employee experience. Utilize metrics to demonstrate and communicate functional value.
- HR Technologies: Design and implement digital HR technology strategy, including simplification/integration of existing HR systems to meet the expectations of our clients. Execute system enhancements, including new functionality rollouts and modifications of existing functionality and coordinate and perform test documentation and post-implementation support. Develop and implement self-service solutions for managers and employees, such as online forms, knowledge-bases, and chatbots. Ensure that processes and procedures adhere to defined audit and internal controls, as well as labor law requirements. Work with other People Team members to identify opportunities to automate HR processes. Stay up-to-date on the latest HR technology trends.
- People Analytics: Develop and execute a strategy that enables People Partners and Business leaders to make data-driven decisions about talent. This includes designing and managing People Analytics projects, evaluating the effectiveness of HR programs/pilots, and identifying new opportunities for investment. Attract and engage a team that is capable of statistical techniques and/or predictive modeling to answer workforce-related questions. Collaborate with People Business Partners to design and execute dashboards with insights gathered at key moments in the employee lifecycle, periodic engagement measurement, and other non-survey sources. Scope and lead new research to explore unanswered questions or dispel myths about our workforce.
- Benefits Design & Implementation: Partner with the C-level, and other key stakeholders to develop, execute, and communicate key benefits programs, importantly, through the effective collaboration with Turnitin’s global benefits broker. This role does not require health and wellness benefits expertise, but it does require deep experience with vendor management and financial analysis in order to effectively oversee the design, funding, and administration of all annual benefits projects.
- Business Partnerships: Learn the business, industry, and culture. Establish, build, and leverage positive working relationships with business leaders, People Team peers, and other key stakeholders. Develop and implement a proactive communication plan for the function that directly supports and drives the strategic direction of the business and holistically delivers a positive employee experience. Manage relationships and projects with relevant external partners, consultants and vendors.
- Project/Financial Management: Lead additional projects as requested, including: labor market research; workforce planning; acquisition integrations; cost/benefit analysis; compliance reporting, etc. Proactively partner with the Finance department on budgeting and accrual of HR / Culture programs.
- 10+ years of experience leading global HR shared services required, preferably with a global company
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required in Business, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Organizational Development, Business Analytics, Applied Mathematics, or a related field required; Master’s degree preferred
- Quantifiable track record of implementing large scale, global transformation projects
- Effective storyteller with experience influencing business case acceptance at C-suite and Board levels
- Effective vendor management experience, including the ability to articulate how expectations are shaped, how selection is optimized, and how performance is monitored, evaluated and addressed
- Strong mathematical, analytical, quantitative, and organizational skills
- Experience with different HR enabling technologies required (Culture Amp, Bamboo HR, Smart Recruiters, Jira, Asana experience a plus) along with experience using Excel and Google Suite
- Proven ability to successfully operate in a highly matrixed organizational system where partnership and influence are key drivers of success
- Hands on expertise in process modeling, process documentation/visualization, journey maps and other core process related capabilities
- Demonstrated expertise in change management, including stakeholder management, communications, training, and organizational readiness assessment
- Strong leadership and team management abilities, with a proven track record of motivating high-performing teams
- Proactive and results-oriented mindset, with a strong focus on achieving measurable outcomes and driving continuous improvement
- Knowledgeable of HR and global benefits program design and administration
- Must be able to demonstrate a high degree of tact, discretion and sound business judgment
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
Our Values underpin everything we do.
- Customer Centric – We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
- Passion for Learning – We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
- Integrity – We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
- Action & Ownership – We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
- One Team – We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other’s successes.
- Global Mindset – We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
- Flexible/hybrid working
- Remote First Culture
- Health Care Coverage*
- Tuition Reimbursement*
- Competitive Paid Time Off
- 4 Self-Care Days per year
- National Holidays*
- 2 Founder Days + Juneteenth Observed
- Paid Volunteer Time*
- Charitable contribution match*
- Monthly Wellness Reimbursement/Home Office Equipment*
- Access to Modern Health (mental health platform)
- Parental Leave*
- Retirement Plan with match/contribution*
* varies by country
Seeing Beyond the Job Ad
At Turnitin, we recognize it’s unrealistic for candidates to fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know that skills evolve over time. If you’re willing to learn and evolve alongside us, join our team!
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.