GitLab’s DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
GitLab is looking for a Backend Engineer for the License Team within the Fulfillment Sub-department who will focus on provisioning and managing licenses across self-managed and SaaS (including Cloud License activation/sync and provisioning of legacy licenses) and support tooling. Most backend developers work on all aspects of GitLab, building features, fixing bugs, and generally improving the application. In this role, you will develop features that span multiple systems working across the boundaries between GitLab, our suite of customer management applications, and third-party providers to provide a world-class subscription management experience for GitLab customers.
In support of our Transparency value, head off to the Fulfillment page to see how we work and to our License page to check out the current team and our capacity and performance indicators.
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging is one of our values, and we have benefits to support you and your family during the ongoing pandemic, as well as a Family & Friends day off every month.
Below are a selection of the initiatives that you may work on:
- Cloud Licensing v2
- Improve provisioning and onboarding of new sales-assisted GitLab.com subscribers
- Research feedback for future-dated amendments in Subscription Admin
- Develop features and improvements to the GitLab product in a secure, well-tested, and performant way.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Product Designers, Frontend Engineers, and other stakeholders to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment.
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance.
- Solve technical problems of moderate scope and complexity.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Recognize impediments to our efficiency as a team, and propose and implement solutions.
- Ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
You should apply if:
- Professional experience with Ruby and Rails
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to use GitLab
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization
- Experience in a peak performance organization, preferably a tech startup
- Experience with license or subscriptions management
- Experience with SaaS billing
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor
- Product company experience
- Experience working with a remote team
- Enterprise software company experience
- Developer platform/tool industry experience
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about/experienced with open source and developer tools
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
About the Development Team
It’s an exciting time to join our team. We’re the world’s largest all-remote company, and we’ve been intentionally building our culture this way from the start. With more than 1,200 team members in 65+ countries, GitLab is a place where you can contribute from almost anywhere. We are an ambitious, productive team that embraces a set of shared values in everything we do.